GENERAL INFORMATION ABOUT COVID-19
1. Corona Virus Disease 2019 (COVID19) is a new respiratory illness that can easily be spread from person to person.
2. COVID-19 is spread through contact with droplets produced by a person who is sneezing or coughing or contaminated surfaces or objects.
3. COVID-19 can cause severe symptoms like fever, cough, headache, body aches and difficulty in breathing.
4. COVID-19 is preventable through;
–Washing your hands with soap and running water or using an alcohol based hand sanitizer,
– Keeping a social distance of at least 2 metres or 2-3 steps from people with flu-like symptoms.
– Avoiding shaking hands, hugging or kissing with people with flu-like symptoms.
– Staying at home and avoiding travel when you have flu-like symptoms.
5. Early detection and treatment can contribute greatly to survival of the patient.
Signs and Symptoms
Some common symptoms that have been specifically linked to COVID-19 include:
- shortness of breath
- having a cough that gets more severe over time
- a low-grade fever that gradually increases in temperature
Less common symptoms include:
- repeated shaking with chills
- muscle aches and pains
- loss of taste
- loss of smell
- Clean your hands often. Use soap and water, or an alcohol-based hand rub.
- Maintain a safe distance from anyone who is coughing or sneezing.
- Don’t touch your eyes, nose or mouth.
- Cover your nose and mouth with your bent elbow or a tissue when you cough or sneeze.
- Stay home if you feel unwell.
- If you have a fever, cough and difficulty breathing, seek medical attention. Call in advance.
- Follow the directions of your local health authority.